Sunday, April 24, 2011

Upside Down

Josh and I have been doing a small group study on the book Radical. David Platt is totally rocking our world. It's amazing that we have read the Bible and know what it says. But then we choose to not apply the whole Gospel to our lives. Why do we end up picking and choosing the pieces of the Bible we want? The reality of it is, I don't think we're the only ones who have been buying into this "American Gospel". It's easy to pick the verses about grace and forgiveness and apply them to my life. 
But then I read Luke 18:22:

"There is still one thing you haven't done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

 It's sad that the Bible has gotten so watered down to what people have liked over time that I have just read over this for essentially my whole life. Then when David Platt puts this passage into perspective it's absolutely life changing.
What is stopping me from this life that God has designed for me? Maybe it's my disobedience. Maybe it is my desire for comfort? For certainty? For predictability? Maybe it is out of selfishness? 

God has called his followers to live a radical life that glorifies him.
A life where a Christian is called to get up off the couch and get dirty. 
A life that makes you second guess everything you've ever been taught about the way you live. 
A life that is lived simply so the poor can have what they need.
A life that is lived with sacrifice so hungry children are fed.  
A life that is turned Upside Down.

1 comment:

  1. "I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charitable expenditures exclude them." - CS Lewis...in other words, live in such a way and give in such a way that is so radical it only makes sense in light of Jesus dying on the cross for you!

    http://stephenandalicia.blogspot.com/2011/01/all-tangled-up.html

    ReplyDelete